It is important to pay a visit to your eye specialist if you suspect you have dry eye syndrome, which can be identified in an eye test. Lack of sufficient moisture or lubrication to the eye’s surface is the cause of dry eye syndrome and the symptoms are as follows:
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Itching and scratching feeling
The meibomian glands in the eye are responsible for tear production. Tears contain essential oils and elements which stop them from evaporating. When the meibomian glands dysfunction or the lacrimal glands don’t produce enough tears, the eyes can become dry.
The following can cause dry eye syndrome:
- Natural aging process
- Side effect of medications such as antihistamines, anti-depressants, blood pressure controllers and so on.
- Dry and windy climates
- Long term use of contact lenses
Treatment of Dry Eye Syndrome
Treating dry eye syndrome is largely focused on treating the uncomfortable effects such as itching, scratchy feeling, light sensitivity and so on. Some treatment options include:
- Eye drops or artificial tears provided by your eye specialist.
- Lacrisert – this is an insert filled with lubricant which is placed just inside the lower eye lid. Throughout the day it will continuously release lubrication for the eye.
- Contact re-wetting solutions.
Visit Vincent Optical in Kitchener to Effectively Diagnose and Treat Dry Eye Syndrome
At Vincent Optical in Kitchener, we offer professional eye tests to detect dry eye syndrome. Our eye specialists can then advise a suitable dry eye syndrome treatment specifically suited to your particular situation.
To book an eye test or to learn more about dry eye syndrome and how to treat it, contact us at Vincent Optical today.